Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Subverting my usual stance...

of rarely noting some "day" or other I offer this salute and recognition to one particular "day" I wholeheartedly agree with. That is the "World Vegan Day"...someday in the not too distant future I hope that ethical veganism is no more unusual that daybreak or nightfall. Since that isn't the case currently...Happy World Vegan Day!!

Remember...ethical veganism is for this small child pictured below and all the other children and all the moms and dads and sisters and brothers of all the sentient beings on our planet (including you)...ethical veganism is the recognition and affirmation and way of living that says their lives are theirs and our lives are lived in ways that respect and honor and care for them.

All children of all sentient beings deserve respect and caring. 

If you aren't living as an ethical vegan, why not? I can pretty safely assure you that if some other group of beings possessed power over us...you would desperately want them to live as ethical vegans...why not give what you would want if circumstances were different?

Finally, I saw this last graphic on the web and really liked it. We all were handed a bunch of ways of thinking and perceiving and behaving that we had no choice but to accept...but it is our job to do just exactly what Mr. Whitman is admonishing us to do. Ethical veganism is the only way of living that I know of that doesn't insult the soul.


Enjoy your day (and if you haven't already done so...quit insulting your soul and go vegan)!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this pic of Walt! (and of the pig).

Have Gone Vegan said...

Happy what's left of World Vegan Day to all! :)

veganelder said...

Thank you for commenting DEM and HGV.

DEM: I was also taken with the pic of Walt (and the pig too)...we're on the same wavelength.

HGV: My sentiments too!

Bea Elliott said...

Happy (belated) World Vegan Day back at you! It would be great if it were just an ordinary custom... But heck, we haven't even the privilege of celebrating Happy Don't Kill a Human Day yet. ...In time.

Not only do I love the photo of Whitman... His eyes extend a plea for compassion. But the saying too... Reminds me of the biblical "cutting off" of one's limbs if they offend. Vegan choices aren't a tiny bit as extreme as this... But how terribly damaging to one's inner peace it is to harm others. Totally right! It insults the soul!

veganelder said...

Thanks for commenting Bea. Happy WVD!

The photo of him is excellent, very potent...and the saying...what can ya say...the fellow was phenomenal!

Annie said...

Great quote from Walt. I didn't realize there was such a thing as World Vegan Day - until I ran across it on a blog. Here's hoping the "movement" grows each year.

veganelder said...

Thank you for commenting Annie. I was sort of aware of the day...vaguely...I think if we're going to be around for any length of time it will have to grow.